The first week back after a long holiday is always tough. You gotta play your way back into game shape. Unfortunately, the spring term is riddled with holidays and interruptions. I guess we’re going to muddle through somehow, though. A few spurious thoughts from the news:
- BURNING NOSTRILS AND WATERING EYES: I bought a box of tissues of the Kleenex variety the other day. Upon first use, I discovered that its scent burned by nostrils and caused my eyes to water. Further investigation revealed that its scent was supplied by eucalyptus. Go figure.
- DYING #COVID19 DENIERS and anti-vaxxers are proof positive that it is all fun and games until someone gets their eye poked out. I guess moms around the world were right after all.
- AG GARLAND may be on the right track after all and legal Twitter just doesn’t know what it’s talking about as the Oathkeepers are indicted for seditious conspiracy. Go figure. The fella that led the prosecution of the Oklahoma City Bombing and a lifelong DoJ lawyer and judge knows more about bringing a case than folks on social media. Again, we now live at the speed of social media, but the rest of the world doesn’t.
- FLOATING PETRI DISHES really is the best description of cruise ships. #COVID19 should be the death of that industry. Why would anyone willingly get on one of them is beyond me.
- IS IT JUST ME or do celebrities seem to be dying at a faster rate than they have in previous years? I lose count and haven’t done any kind of statistical analysis, so likely as not it is just cognitive bias, but it does seem like we’re losing celebs at a quick clip. We said goodbye to Bob Saget and Adalia Rose Williams.
And, yes, I did miss the Saturday posting deadline. Otherwise, there’s been lots of news in the news and on the blogs. This is what I read this week:
Animals in the News
- RAT HERO of Cambodia dies peacefully in retirement at age eight. Magawa was one of the rats that the non-profit, APOPO, trained to sniff out landmines in Cambodia. The rat helped clear 225,000 square meters and found over 100 mines and other explosives. The British veterinary charity, PDSA, awarded him a medal for animal bravery and service. RIP Magawa!
- DRIVING GOLDFISH! That’s right, Israeli scientists have created a vehicle that can be driven by a goldfish! Turns out, they’re easier to teach to drive than your average teenager and safer, too. Sounds like something someone somewhere will market one day. Maybe they could combine it with a vacuum and your goldfish could spend its day running from your cat vacuuming your house… retirement might come sooner than I thought.
- VITAMIX STANDOFF! A cat herd in British Columbia has organized their members into a round the clock stand-off with the owners of Vitamix. The cats refuse to get off of the box so that it can be opened and used. Things have gotten so bad, and so popular, that the Vitamix company sent them three empty decoy boxes! And, there are still those among us who believe cats actually LIKE their humans.
- EVERYBODY NEEDS A HOBBY, Suze has quilting, at least when she gets around to it. Join me in congratulating her in bringing an 18 month-long quilting project to a close and admire the photos of the end result. (Suziland)
- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to Alaska! It’s the fiftieth anniversary for the 49th state, but who’s counting? Apparently, the University of Alaska who put on a pictorial display celebrating the event and blogged about by Dan Wall complete with pictures of the pictures! (northierthanthou)
- SOMETIMES IT’S THE QUESTIONS. Tally blogs about questions she has, and every so often, every quarter or so — so being the operative term there — she reviews those questions. Somehow, the questions are most satisfying. You can choose which ones you seek answers to. (The Chatty Introvert)
- MONTEZUMA’S REVENGE seems to be much on the mind of usfman, our favorite traveller, especially as he gets older. Still the bold adventurer has catalogued all the food he has passed up or regretted having tried for one reason or another. See if you can add a comment about some of the foods featured there. (Snippets of a Traveling Mind)
- MORE THAN TWO CENTS WORTH. The blogosphere is lousy with platitudes about how to live a healthier, happier, hipper life. None come close to Wendy‘s health advice, Don’t get hit by a truck. She includes that and other wry observations about bill paying in her two-cents worth of thoughts on various events. (Greater Than Gravity)
The Friendly Blogs
It’s always nice to have friends, and it’s nice to have gratitude, so it’s doubly nice to have friends that you can be grateful for. Here are a few of the friends of the blog.
- FEAR THE NEXT GENERATION: In what has become one of my favoritest serieses, Bobcabkings gives the best commentary on how we’ve protected our children from #COVID19 will come back and bite us in the ass in one short quote by Marcus Aurelius ! (Of Cabbages and Kings).
- SEPARATED AT BIRTH: Sure, we’re all hating on Manchin and Sinema right now. Proof our exhaustion is that we aren’t burning up social media with more memes like this, though. Sinema leaves a skidmark in all of her memes. (Mock Paper Scissors)
- TEMPTING TO BE SURE, but let’s just keep it as a meme and satisfying fantasy. Ten Bears says what we’ve all been thinking, and what we need to remind so many voters around the country of: without the feds redistributing the wealth and resources of the blue states to the red, most red states would be living in hopeless poverty. I doubt it will help elect more Democrats to Congress, though. (Homeless on the High Desert)
- MORE MEDICAL ADVICE: Burr has returned to the land of the blogging with this sage medical advice: screaming continuous agony is not as much fun as people may think. I no longer recommend it. He’s got that and other interesting stuff that he’s collected from the Interwebs to survey on your Sunday. (Fair and Unbalanced)
- NOT USING ENOUGH RUM seems like good advice since I discovered coquitos for Christmas. Anywho, Scottie has his cartoon roundup up and links to lots of other worthwhile stories. (Scottie’s Playtime)
- GOOD FRIENDS to have are the folks running Crooks and Liars and their daily column, Mike’s Blog Round Up. A good source of news and entertainment. Be sure to check them out.
Tell your ma! tell your pa! Ye Olde Blogge will grow! Oh wah! Oh wah!
With apologies to Bob Dylan, let someone you know (or don’t know) know about Ye Olde Blogge just copy and paste the URL into a social media post or email.
You can also like or rate the post.
Or you can follow Ye Olde Blogge or join our email list!
I looked everywhere for an open licensed image of Magawa but couldn’t find one. This is Rosie being trained by APOPO the non-profit that trained Magawa.