ICYMI: The Week at Ye Olde Blogge
We had two terrific blog posts this week. The first was remembering that dear old political wit and charmer, Molly Ivins! Her death seems just like yesterday… and if she were alive today…
The second one looked at all the ways an election can be subverted and stolen… by the GQP!
Apparently, Ye Olde Blogge’s full-time citizen life is taken up with all the #COVID19’s all the time now. Last week during our week-without-walls, two grade levels were exposed to #COVID19 including the one I was with, so I spent a week in quarantine with La Petite Fille. Luckily, neither of actually acquired the infection. Here in Cambodia, the number of omicron infections continues to increase, but like other places, the number of hospitalizations and deaths is not climbing as fast. In other #COVID19 news, we can now get a fourth shot, second booster, of either Moderna or Pfizer.
In all things infernally frustrating and taking away from the real meaning of life, blogging, I have two significant entries:
- I MANAGED TO LOSE MY PASSPORT at the end of last week. It disappeared, I’m fairly certain, inside the house. We got to the point where we, literally and systematically, looked everywhere. It ain’t here. Probably found its way into the trash and got taken out. I’ve initiated the replacement process, which necessitates a visit to the US embassy.
- REPORTS ARE DUE THIS WEEK which means that we need to write said reports. Time spent writing something that is not the blog detracts from the time available to write the blog.
Anywho with all this other stuff, I’m probably off my fragile blogging game this week. I’ll try to get posts up. It has also put me off my reading.
The Week’s Reading
There were a surprisingly large number of articles in the commercial press that I reacted to with, Hey, this would be great for Whaz Up!?! Usually, I don’t find THAT many articles in the MSM and offbeat press, but not so this week.
Big Media Sources
- HISTORY LESSON: From the esteemed historian, Heather Cox Richardson, we get a brief history lesson of the origins of our belief in and practice of equality-before-the-law and all-people-are-created-equal. Seems the 6 January Insurrectionists for all their fapping to the Revolution are more like traitorous rebels of the Old Confederacy than the valiant revolutionaries of 1776. (Letters from an American)
- mRNA TECH FOR THE WIN! The mRNA technology that brought us the Moderna and Pfizer #COVID19 vaccines and which has been under development for about a decade or more has been used by Moderna to develop an HIV vaccine, which has entered the human testing phase of development. Good news, y’all! Science delivers… AGAIN! (Medscape)
- HA! I KNEW IT! New research suggests that MAGA Nation simply adjusted their moral beliefs so that they were closer to Trump’s. It is cognitive dissonance all over again. People who liked Trump just adopted his moral views. Interesting study. Interesting finding. (PsyPost)
- PERFECT STRANGERS is Netflix’s first attempt at Arabic language entertainment. Let’s just say that the moralistic critics are less than impressed. Everybody else seems happy enough with it, though. This is a good read giving an interesting opinion on whether art should imitate life or life, art and sounding a lot like our own tsk-tsking moralizing conservatives. (New Lines Magazine)
- HOLY MOTHER OF — AH! MY PENIS! In a horrifying story of home remedy meets erectile dysfunction, a man and his partner attempted to “cure” him of his malady by placing a straw — perhaps that little thin straw that comes with WD-40 — into his urethra and attaching the free end to a can of insulation spray foam. I’m already crying, I don’t know about you. The accident part happened when his partner “accidentally” discharged the foam. Oh, but wait, there’s more. t filled his urethra and bladder with the hard stuff. But, it gets worse! He didn’t seek treatment for three weeks! Now, with the foam removed, he’s awaiting reconstructive surgery and he probably still has erectile dysfunction. Yikes! (Neoscope)
There are some great things being written in the blogosphere every day. Here’s a bit of what I’ve read.
AI-INSPIRED TAROT CARDS. While not a blog per se, it is something that I devoted a bit of time to this week. Someone has been training AI to make tarot cards and publishing the results to Twitter. They are as intriguing as they are weird. Let me know in the comments.
- NARCISSISTS AND HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM is an informative post about a subject near and dear to Ye Olde Blogge’s heart. Thankfully, she’s posting about it now because I got tired of it. (Carol Corelli)
- CHINA, TAIWAN, AND INDIA walk into a bar… and India picks up 14,000 square miles of land while China’s making googly eyes at Taiwan and fighting with her boyfriend, the US. You know, when opportunity comes knocking. (Insightful Geopolitics)
- SCRAPING ALL THE SKIES OVER PARIS has been a rarity over the past few hundred years. There’s only a couple of buildings over 121 feet tall and now three’s going to be a crowd. (Cas d’Interet)
- ALL THE TOOLKITS FOR ALL THE COMMUNITIES are right here in this handy dandy blog post. Find out how to be an advocate for any issues you might have in your community. (The Catalysts for Change)
- THE CARBON CYCLE OF HIS DISCOLORED TEETH: You can’t go far wrong with a poem with a line like that and teachers and disinterest. Bobcabkings reblogs a pretty wonderful poem, Phosphorus, from The Feathered Sleep. . (Of Cabbages and Kings).
- PUT YOUR RESIGNATION WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS! Tengrain reports on the recommendation that Chief Justice John Roberts resign if he really is concerned about the politicalization of the Supremes. Seems like I’ve heard that some piece of advice somewhere recently. (Mock Paper Scissors)
- JOIN THE MIGRATION. Ten Bears brings us an article about how everything from humans to animals to plants are going to migrating due to climate change. Ain’t none of us going to be spared. (Homeless on the High Desert)
- LUNAR NEW YEAR + BLACK HISTORY MONTH = Burr’s weekly reading including a tweet of Wanda Sykes showing some awesome Asian folks cutting a rug. (Fair and Unbalanced)
- STORMS PUSHING PEOPLE TO BE DUMBER! If you can’t choose just one, you get three of them! Scottie reports on some of the week’s lesser known outrages: A mayor storms out! Auditor pushed down stairs! Anit-maskers are dumber! (Scottie’s Playtime)
- BLACK HISTORY MONTH = CRT — SURPRISE!! Alabamy is making a serious run at Florida and Texas for the biggest dumbassery of the era! Black history month can be cancelled in the name of CRT! Driftglass runs Mike’s Blog Round Up, which has links to even more interesting blog posts!(Crooks and Liars)
- IS RELIGION FREE? Infidel shares his thoughts on religion and freedom to impose their values on the rest of us. Hey, this is Infidel, so it’s sober, reasoned, and does leave much wiggle room. (Infidel 753)
Everybody needs links, so share share share…
…this post with someone you love or like or know exits or have only just met! It’ll do ’em a world of good!
Liking and rating this post will do you and me a world of good, too.
A friendly comment always does a body good, you could try that.
Follow Ye Olde Blogge or join the one-sixty-fourth of a legion who subscribe!