Here we are at the beginning of one of the most important months of the year on Ye Olde Blogge! Autism Awareness-Appreciation-Celebration Month. It should be a fun month since Khmer New Year happens next week: plenty of time to write and schedule the posts. Let’s hope my ass ain’t farting checks my fingers can’t tap out.
In addition to completing our report cards this week — Didn’t we just DO this? How is it possible that we have to do it AGAIN!?! How is that even fair? — we had some fun animal encounters, April Fools Day, and started training for the Phnom Penh half marathon!
- Early in the week, two hornbills visited the school. They are impressively large birds, which always astonish when they fly, but that beak makes it doubly astonishing. They impressed the students and faculty alike as they flew around the courtyard.
- When we were picking up a package, we noticed two cats looking interested in something in the motorcycle parking lot. I decided to check it out and found the scene to the left. Later I saw the cats again. The one was so delighted with her catch that she was playing with it. Either teasing her friend or anticipating the meal.
April Fools Day
Pranking sixth graders is always fun. My favorite prank was telling my seventh graders that the vice principal was collecting toothbrushes and a pair of underwear from each of the students in case we had to shelter in place at the school overnight. It was in Kenya and if there were a riot or coup or Mt. Longonot exploded, we might could be better off bedding down at the school. Unfortunately, it was my first month there, so I didn’t actually do it. It would’ve been hysterical, though. Here Mr. Crain. Here’s my spare toothbrush and pair of underwear. I regret it to this day.
This year, we doused all of the student’s water bottles with lemon juice. The looks on their faces when they took a big gulp was priceless! Lemon juice. That was inspired.
Please, tell us about your favorite April Fools Day jokes in the comments.
I had been running pretty regularly there at the end of the fall and through the December break. I had gotten up to a 10K. Sometime in January, I fell off the running wagon. But, I’m back. I started the training on Saturday with a brisk 6K. Now, I have to get up at 5:00 AM and run three mornings a week. Stop laughing. I’ll do it. I swear I will. I’ve got twelve weeks to reach a distance of 21K. That’s plenty of time.
The Week’s Reading
I have to confess that I didn’t read as extensively in the legacy or paid media as I usually do. I kept up with the headlines and the major stories, but all y’all have done that. You don’t need Ye Olde Blogge to be directing you to those stories, so we’ll skip straight to my favorite blog posts from the week!
Favorite Blog Posts
Here were the blog posts that caught my attention this week:
- REPORT CARD?!? Nobody said there’d be REPORT CARDS! Well, I guess if you’re trying to instill some financial discipline, you might could grade yourself once you’ve set your goals. I swear, I thought that’s why people got married. At least, that’s why I did… just don’t tell Ma Belle Femme! (Chatty Introvert)
- NO FOOLIN’! Raising money for a worthy cause is something that I hope we all do now and again, and more now than again. One of my favorite blogs raised $3,742.00 for muscular dystrophy, a cause near and dear to the blog. (Greater than Gravity)
- WE BELONG TOGETHER ALWAYS! Sentimental Hollywood dramas can really capture a moment and help us understand ourselves, relationships, and the world better. When it comes to thirties black and whites, though, I’m more of a Thin Man type myself, but here’s a reflection on what it means to belong together always. (On Being Gay and Grieving)
- PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE PHONES! That’s the way my sMaRt PhOnE has always treated me, but those crazy kids nowadays are going back to the dumb phones that only make phone calls and send text messages and take lousy pictures because reasonable or something. Smart alecky kids. (bluewater)
- VERTIGO! The thought of getting vertical just makes my head spin, but otherwise, here’s a nifty pictorial essay of a visit to the Wolfsonian Museum’s display of visions of the airborne life from the beginning of the last century. Some really amazing works are pictured there. (Snippets from a Traveling Mind)
- NO FOOLS LIKE A FRENCH FOOL? Or something like that. No matter what you think of the French or France, we’ve got an informative and entertaining compendium of the history of the entertaining French fools, farce, and fanfare. (cas d’interet)
Friends of Ye Olde Blogge
These are the folks who have gone out of their way to support Ye Olde Blogge! We deeply appreciate it, so give ’em a visit and let ’em know we sent you.
- A PAGE-TWO GIRL? Bobcabkings reblogs a much better excuse for being off the blogging schedule than I could ever produce when I’m irregular. (Of Cabbages and Kings).
- TRUMP CIDER tastes like…? Ew, who would ever try it? Luckily, Tengrain is all over it. Apparently, clan Trump is exploring adding cider to their mix of failed business ventures and want you to name it. My choice? Bankrupt Cider… or Pee Hooker. (Mock Paper Scissors)
- BEER, BEER IS THE ANSWER to just about everything, apparently. Ten Bears laments the financial choices the yuppies have made for his hometown after they took over. Just when you thought things couldn’t get worse, they lay off five cops. (Homeless on the High Desert)
- THE SLAP HEARD ROUND SOCIAL MEDIA! Burr runs down all that’s worth reading on the Interwebs both big and small, important to all or important to someone! Your week isn’t complete without it! (Fair and Unbalanced)
- SEX IS OVER SIMPLISTIC! Whoa! Overrated, maybe, but over simplistic? Come on, man! You’ve got to spice it up, know what I’m saying? Oh, the idea of two sexes is overly simplistic according to science. Gottcha. (Scottie’s Playtime)
- IF THE SHOE FITS CINDERELLA, then it’s probably Cinderella’s, don’t ya think? At least VP Harris thinks so and told Joy Reid that all them GQPs what wears glass slippers shouldn’t be throwing no rocks at no legislation that helps people. Mike’s Blog Roundup is being curated by Tengrain. (Crooks and Liars)
- SOME PRETTY CRAZY SHIT! Infidel has some of the craziest zanniest wackiest pics found on the Interwebs over there. Well worth a gander to just lighten your day. (Infidel 753)
Share these links far and wide!
Everybody appreciates a good link fest, so send this url to friends, family, acquaintances, and complete strangers!
Like or rate the post and it’ll help ensure that there’s more where this one came from.
Leave a comment about how your week went and your favorite April Fools Day joke.
Follow Ye Olde Blogge or join our mailing list thingee!
The picture of the cat is mine and is free to be used and abused by whoever can manage to use or abuse it.
Categories: Cognitive Psychology