We should all take a moment to bask in our accomplishment and be proud of ourselves! Everyone who called, wrote emails, or protested — we’re looking at you Kentuckians — have convinced #MassacreMitch to at least say the Senate will discuss gun legislation. The words background checks and red flag laws actually passed his lips — and he didn’t even turn into stone or burst into flames or nothin’! Of course, he also left the other side of his mouth agape by adding the caveat that whatever got passed had to have bipartisan support. That is his get out of jail free fairy godmother wish-maker right there.
We can’t wallow too much in our pride, though, because more than likely he don’t mean it. But, if we keep calling and watching and protesting, he might just feel like he hasta!
In the Words of #MassacreMitch
There is other evidence that he is just passing gas and not actually going to drop any of the whole enchilada into the toilet bowl of American political discourse before trying to wipe away the stains of his own sins.
We had that ban for about a 10-year period. There’s a good deal of dispute about whether it actually had an impact or not.
- After the federal assault weapons ban expired in 2004, homicide rates increased 40% along the Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona borders compared to areas along the California border (California bans assault weapons under state law, while the other border states do not).
- Mass-shooting related homicides in the United States were reduced during the years of the federal assault weapons ban of 1994 to 2004 by about 70% according to an NCBI study. Psst! That’s National Center for Biotechnology Information.
What’s happened after every one of these shootings is that there’s been a temptation to just engage in political discourse rather than actually passing something.
- Which explains why we actually passed something under #MassacreMitch’s wise and powerful political leadership.
- Ha ha ha ha! Sometimes I just crack myself up! Everyone knows #MoscowMitch is the main reason that so little legislation has been passed over the past six years! He has (1) refused to consider any gun legislation or any legislation that might appeal to the Democratic base, (2) broken Senate traditions and norms, and (3) defied the Constitution all in pursuit of a single-party pseudo-democratic authoritarian state.
- That would make us United Fucking States of Fucking #MoscowMitch! I can haz all the rubles now, Mr. Putin?
[The Ol’ Pussy Grabber is] anxious to get an outcome and so am I, and I think the Democrats will have to just admit that it’s better to get a result than just engage in this endless point scoring.
- Excuse me I find it difficult to type and laugh-vomit. You know laugh-vomiting, right? The phenomena in which you laugh at the ridiculousness of something someone said while vomiting a little bit into your mouth because it is also so odious.
- Okay, #MassacreMitch says that he wants to do something other than point fingers and engage in endless point scoring while pointing fingers and engaging in point scoring.
- Actions, #MassacreMitch! Actions speak louder than words. When you can take an action and not just spew cheap shots and gaslight the nation, we might stop calling your sad wrinkled dumb old-man ass to tell you to take up the Democratic bills already passed by the House. You know, follow our DEMOCRATIC traditions and norms.
I don’t want to just engage in finger-pointing or making a point.
- Again, he said while engaging in finger-pointing and making points!
- Partisanship, ain’t it wonderfully paralyzing? Don’t it just strangle democracy to death?
Revive and Sustain Our Democracy
So let’s all participate in the revival and sustaining our democracy:
- DONATE to the El Paso and Dayton communities through this link.
- CALL your MoC using the links and information in my latest post, The Mass Shooting in El Paso: What You Can Do.
- ATTEND TOWN HALLS, MARCHES, & OTHER EVENTS: You can read through the shallow dive in that post to find advocacy groups that you can join and who will direct you to town halls, marches, and other events near you.
- Write emails to your MoC’s and to the editors of your local paper and news websites.
- Volunteer for a campaign or other organization working in the gun arena. Use the post, The Mass Shooting in El Paso: What You Can Do, to help you find those gun reform organizations.
- CALL #MASSACREMITCH: His DC phone number is (202) 224-2541. Call him and demand that he reconvene the Senate and pass the House bills on gun reform! You can also tell him to protect our elections while you’re at it.
Otherwise, call your MoC each and every week. Use my Sunday call list or make up your own as you follow the news and use resources like Five Calls and Indivisible.
- Common Cause will give you the names, party affiliation, direct phone number, website link, and social media platforms of all of your federal, state, and local elected officials.
- #MassacreMitch and #MoscowMitch: (202) 224-2541. Call him throughout the recess!
- Call My Congress: Uses your zip code to locate your Congressional Representative and your Senators. And, it returns phone numbers, tweeter handle, party affiliation, voting record, and link to C-Span appearances!
- 5 Calls: I am sad to report that Call Your Rep is no longer supported, but you can sign-up for 5 Calls which is a service that will help you contact your Congressional representatives and keep you abreast of on going issues that are important to you! Now, that is a good deal.
- The Capital Hill Switch Board: (202) 224-3121.
Categories: Gun Violence
Reblogged this on cabbagesandkings524 and commented:
Calico Jack notes a promise likely to be broken.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Very high on my list of Stupidly Transparent Blatant Hypocrisy is the scene of one politician trying to disqualify another’s efforts to represent their constituents as “Playing Politics” or “Trying to take political advantage of a bad event”. It is their job. It is what we elect them to do. It is the game they play. One might as well attack an NFL team for not playing baseball.
Do I trust Mitch and Trump and their gang to actually do something meaningful? Hell NO! Here’s my prediction: Mitch will being the bills already passed by the House (“bipartisanly”) up and send them to committee to be “studied”. The Committee (or 2 or more) will produce bills significantly different from the House bills. If those get to a vote and pass, they will go to Conference Committee to die.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Unfortunately, I think that is entirely likely. I hope and pray that enough people will call Mitch and their senators that they can sway that tactic off its tracks.
LikeLiked by 1 person
It is a safe bet that the NRA will be (whatever supportive noises they might make with Trump) quietly reminding a lot of GOP legislators that there will be Primaries next year and that they will need money and to not be challenged.
LikeLiked by 1 person