Update #2: With Bolton’s bombshell from his book and lots of traffic from social media, I’ve added some quick instructions and recommendations:
- Contact only to YOUR senators and #MoscowMitch. They don’t tally contacts from non-constituents, so you’re wasting your time and theirs.
- Voicemail fills up quickly, and it is a ploy to ignore constituents to leave it full. The next best alternative is to use the contact page on your senators’ government website. Follow this link: Find your senators.
- Demand subpoenas for Bolton, Mulvaney, Pompeo and WH documents.
- Use the scripts and tips below to help you.
- Links to finding the phone numbers, addresses, and social media for your members of Congress are listed below.
- Let me know how it goes in the comments. We can all use a little encouragement. You’ve no idea how lonely it is to be a blogger.
Update #1: Since publishing this post, it has become clear — god knows how since it isn’t represented in the comments — that the voicemail boxes of your senators are full. Rest assured that’s a feature, not a flaw. They don’t want to hear from you. The suggested workaround is to use the contact form of their government websites.
Follow this link to find your senators’ website:
Find your senators
Since the beginning of the impeachment process, the GOP has been determined to flood the zone with shit as a strategy for turning voters away from process. Don’t let them get away with it! Contact your senators and demand a fair impeachment trial with fact witnesses and WH documents!
Nothing communicates to an elected official that you are engaged and prepared to vote on an issue like contacting their office with your opinion. It is the single most effective way of influencing your elected representatives at all levels of government.
It is clear that there are Repube senators who are on the fence about supporting a fair trail. Your contact with them can help convince them to openly support a fair trial.
There are several organizations that have helped us understand how to proceed. Here’s their advice:
When calling your senators use these helpful ideas depending on their party affiliation.
- democratic senators: Tell them to be loud and proud in making their demands for witnesses at the trial.
- republican senators: Tell them that you expect them to be impartial and to demand witnesses be called. Tell them to support the Chuck Schumer compromise on the way the trial is run.
For Calling or Writing
The good folks over at Five Calls have this handy dandy transcript for making your call. You can use the contact page of your senators’ official government website to write. It is the next best thing to calling. Follow the link to find their websites: Find your senators
Hi, my name is [NAME] and I’m a constituent from [PLACE YOU LIVE].
I am from [NAME OF LOCATION], and I’m calling to urge Senator [NAME OF SENATOR] to subpoena Bolton, Mulvaney, Pompeo, and WH documents in the impeachment trial. Disclosures in the press that Trump had linked aid to Ukraine to the investigations of the Bidens makes it imperative that they testify and documents are secured. The allegations against Trump are far too serious to be pushed aside in favor of partisan politics. Can I count on Senator [NAME OF SENATOR] to commit to a complete and comprehensive impeachment trial?
Thank you for your time and attention.
IF LEAVING A VOICEMAIL: Please leave your full street address to ensure your call is tallied.
Find the social media platforms that your senators use by following this link: Common Cause
I’m from [NAME OF PLACE], and I urge @[TAG OF SENATOR] to subpoena Bolton, Mulvaney, Pompeo, and WH documents in the impeachment trial. Bolton’s claim that Trump had linked aid to Ukraine to investigating the Bidens makes it imperative that we hear from them.
Tips for Calling
When you call your representative’s office, please remember the following:
- Only contact YOUR MoC! They only listen to their constituents and dismiss requests from non-constituents.Ask for the aide working on the policy-related issues.
- Be polite! No matter whose office you’re calling. No matter what their positions are. No matter how inflamed you are about the issue — and you should be very passionate — be polite.
- Remember that the people you are talking to are people! So, be nice.
- Call during business hours of the area code their office is in. Typically, that is 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- Have a script or notes to follow so you don’t forget anything.
- Maybe call with friends. You know like a party.
In Addition to Calling
I’ve heard back from readers that some MoC’s voice mail boxes are always full! It’s as if they don’t want to hear from their constituents. Kinda like those MoC’s who don’t hold town halls or other open forum meetings. Here are some other ways to contact your MoC:
- Send a postcard to their office. Nothing says I care like kicking it old school and using snail mail.
- Email their office. Lay out your concerns in a brief email and send it in. We all know how easy it is to email. Make sure you include the issue you are addressing in the subject line.
- Use the contact page on their website. This is the surest way of getting a message to them. Each MoC has an official government website and each has a contact page that comes with it automatically.
- Contact them using social media. It’s hard to break through all the noise on social media, but it can’t hurt to try given all the time we all spend using it. Be sure to tag your MoC’s when social mediaing about about a specific issue. Be clear and respectful, though, when addressing an issue that you want your MoC to act upon. Make sure you let them know you are a constituent.
Contacting Your MoC
Find out how to contact your MoC using these links!
- Common Cause will give you the names, party affiliation, direct phone number, website link, and social media platforms of all of your federal, state, and local elected officials.
- USA.gov is the official guide to information and services of the US government. This page explains clearly how to contact everyone from the Ol’ Pussy Grabber to your representative to specific government agencies. Through it you can find the following information about your MoC’s:
- Their phone numbers: DC and state offices
- Their mailing addresses both in DC and their state offices
- Official website with their contact page including email, request a meeting, town hall schedules, and social media
- And, the committees they sit on
- 5 Calls: Sign-up for 5 Calls because they help you contact your member of Congress and keep you abreast of on going issues that are important to you! Now, that is a good deal.
- The Capital Hill Switch Board: (202) 224-3121.
- MassacreMitch and #MoscowMitch: His DC office, (202) 224-2541.
- Nancy Pelosi: Her DC office, (202) 225-4965; her California office, (415) 556-4862
- The Ol’ Pussy Grabber: The WH switchboard, (202) 456-1414 or the comments line at (202) 456-1111 during business hours
Follow the link to Indivisible to find a group near you, their campaigns, events in your neighborhood, and download their handy-dandy booklet!
The post image was found using a Creative Commons search and published on this Wikipedia page. It is licensed as public domain. It was produced by an employee of the US Senate as part of their job and used on websites and other official government publications.
Reblogged this on cabbagesandkings524 and commented:
Calico Jack – Demanding a fair trial
LikeLiked by 1 person
A question that must be asked of the Republican Senators is; Would you acquit a Democrat President, Hillary Clinton for example, of the same charges on the same evidence? That is the standard which the oath you have sworn demands of you. And, think deeply on it, because the standard you affirm for this President will apply to all future Presidents, whatever their party affiliation, policies, or ambitions.
LikeLiked by 1 person
You know, I’ve concluded that the rank and vile GOP voter is proud of the hypocrisy. For political reasons, the senators will all lie and say they would, but truth-be-told, they were working on the articles of impeachment for Clinton during the campaign. There is nothing in the recent history of the GOP that indicates that they’ll follow any precedent. They’ll do whatever they think is politically expedient. Like everything else, applying standards depends on the people applying them. They will no more apply any standard than they will a norm, rule, policy, or Constitution. That’s the way you break a democracy.
LikeLiked by 1 person
When the ONLY value is winning the only cure (if there is one) is defeat, not once, but consistently and en-mass. Alas, that puts the opposition in the position of concentrating on winning above all else. It only takes one player to make a game zero sum. Democracy is supposed to be a non-zero sum game.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Part of the Great Civics Lesson. The only question is whether enough of us will learn it soon enough.
LikeLiked by 1 person