Understandably, everyone is worried about the outcome of the election, both the presidential and senate elections. The best way to cope with the stress and anxiety that we all are feeling as we ride the #COVID19 pandemic to its worst peak yet is to take helpful action. Get busy. Do things other than social media and read blog posts! Er… I mean still do those things, but add a couple of concrete actions to your steady diet of meme posting and commenting on Ye Olde Blogge.
If you’ve been following Ye Olde Blogge, you have been contacting @GSAEmily to POLITELY urge her to ascertain #BidenHarris are the apparent winners of #Election2020 by #SignThePapers to stat the transition. You’ve also contacted the Michigan State legislature leaders and urged them to stand up for our democracy, which they did even though their statement was a bit vague and left some wiggle room.
Now it is time to turn our attention to the senate election. Control of the Senate will be determined by a runoff election in Georgia on 5 January 2021. There is something you can do about that. You can write postcards to swing states! It’s easy! It’s fun! But, it takes some planning and budgeting because there’s a deadline, 26 to 28 December, and purchasing, postcards and postage, involved.
Luckily, we all have time to become helpers if we plan it right. Here’s how it works:
- Acquire the number of postcards you want to send! They have options on their website:
- 50 postcards for $9.00
- 100 for $12.00
- 250 for $21.00
- 500 for $36.00
- 750 is SOLD OUT! WHAAAAT?
- 1,000 for $45.00
- Get your instructions and voter addresses from a document emailed to you.
- Buy your stamps. They are $0.35 (US) each. So, you know budget.
- Copy the message and addresses onto the postcards. Stamp them. Send them!
It’s that easy. Okay, it isn’t. You have to plan because there are things you have to do:
- You have to buy the postcards from them, and they use a third-party vendor, so there’s shipping and handling involved, and there is that pesky deadline, 26 – 28 December, timed for maximum psychological effect.
- There is writing involved, too, so you’ll need time to actually write the damn things.
- My suggestion for all things affecting our government: Why not make it party? Defray the cost! Defray the writer’s cramp! Help a good cause! Have fun at the same time! It’s win-win-win, amirite?
Just so you know what you’re getting yourself into, here’s the script they want you to transcribe:
[Voter’s First Name(s)], Thank you for being a voter! Please VOTE in the Tuesday Jan. 5 Senate elections for Rev. Warnock and Jon Ossoff. [Your First Name]Postcards to Swing States