We heard this week that the Ol’ Pussy Grabber had blinked and was retracting the policy of denying deferrals to deportation to terminally or chronically ill children who were in this country for treatment, and then we read the fine print. They were going to consider the applications that they had and anyone who hadn’t applied yet would have to be adjudicated as deported and then apply for a deferral, no guarantees.
Typical bullshit from the Ol’ Pussy Grabber. After all, a court had ordered them to stop separating children from their parents, the admin said they had, and come to find out they are still separating children from their parents. Hrmph.
Congress can do something about this situation. Congress can write and pass legislation that will codify empathy and mercy into law since it obviously ain’t been codified in no Ol’ Pussy Grabber’s heart or soul and no one else’s in his admin.
Tell Your MoC
Call your members of Congress, representative and senators, and call that heartless bastard, Mitch McConnell, and Nancy Pelosi, too. Tell them all that you support the deportation deferral programs, especially the one for sick children. Tell them that you expect them to write, sponsor, and shepherd legislation through Congress that protects these kids and their families form the whims of a cruel and capricious administration.
Tips for Calling
When you call your representative’s office, please remember the following:
- Ask for the aide working on immigration issues.
- Be polite! No matter whose office you’re calling. No matter what their positions are. No matter how inflamed you are about impeachment — and you should be very passionate — be polite.
- Remember that the people you are talking to are people! So, be nice.
- Call during business hours of the area code their office is in. Typically, that is 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- Have a script or notes to follow so you don’t forget anything.
- Maybe call with friends. You know like a party.
Contacting Your MoC
Find out how to contact your MoC using these links!
- Common Cause will give you the names, party affiliation, direct phone number, website link, and social media platforms of all of your federal, state, and local elected officials.
- Call My Congress: Uses your zip code to locate your Congressional Representative and your Senators. And, it returns phone numbers, tweeter handle, party affiliation, voting record, and link to C-Span appearances!
- 5 Calls: I am sad to report that Call Your Rep is no longer supported, but you can sign-up for 5 Calls which is a service that will help you contact your Congressional representatives and keep you abreast of on going issues that are important to you! Now, that is a good deal.
- The Capital Hill Switch Board: (202) 224-3121.
- MassacreMitch and #MoscowMitch: (202) 224-2541. Call him throughout the recess!
- Nancy Pelosi: Her DC office, (202) 225-4965; her California office, (415) 556-4862
We the People March
On Saturday 21 September, there will be a massive We the People March in Washington, D.C. to support our democracy in the face of growing authoritarianism and outright fascism of both the Ol’ Pussy Grabber, #MoscowMitch, and the GOP.
There are other marches organized around the country, too. Either find one near you, or organize it yourself!