The Congressional recess comes to an end this week. Congress will return to session on or about Thursday 12 September. That means it is time to hold #MoscowMitch’s feet to the fire. He said he’d bring gun reform legislation to the floor of the Senate to have a “real conversation.” There are three bills that we have to prise loose from #MassacreMitch’s extremely white and tight ass where he has them hidden. It is an unpleasant job, but it has to be done. Don your hazmat suits and get to work!
We needn’t go over, yet again, the reasons we need gun reform legislation, do we? Wasn’t the massacres in Odessa, Texas, Dayton, Ohio, and El Paso Texas enough? At any rate, here’s what we should all be doing about gun legislation this week:
Wouldn’t it be just lovely if #MassacreMitch go 60+ million phone calls — that’s approximately the number of votes Clinton got in 2016 — reminding him that he SAID we would be discussing gun reform legislation after the recess ended.
Gottamnit, #MassacreMitch, that conversation should begin 8:00 day one! I expect to see the headlines on Thursday afternoon about the historic and wide ranging debate in the Senate on gun-related legislation.
Call this motherfucker today, tomorrow, the next day, and every day and remind him of his promise! Fuck him. But, be polite, y’all.
Call Your Senators
Call your senators and tell them that you support gun reform legislation. Tell them that you want them to co-sponsor the House bills on gun legislation that are languishing in the Senate right now. Tell them you want them to help move those bills to the floor for debate and ultimately a vote. Tell them to vote for those bills and more.
Call Your Representatives
I heard Nancy Pelosi had been planning on bringing representatives back to DC last week to prepare more legislation on gun reform but didn’t because of Hurricane Dorian.
There are three bills that were passed last spring and that the Grim Reaper promptly smoked and drew up into his nether regions where they wouldn’t be seeing the neon lights of the Senate anytime soon. That’s great, but there is more to be done, and it is high-time we got to doing it.
The Five Calls Script
Hi, my name is [NAME] and I’m a constituent from [your location].
I’m calling to urge Representative or Senator [NAME] to take action to reduce the epidemic of gun violence in the United States by…
CHOOSE 1-3 POLICIES BELOW
- Closing the loophole that lets people buy guns at shows and through private sellers without background checks
- Instituting universal background checks for ammo and gun buyers, a measure 80% of gun owners support
- Funding evidence-based community anti-violence programs, like Ceasefire, which have been shown to reduce shootings
- Reinstating a federal ban on the purchase of high-capacity magazines and military-style assault weapons, which is supported by at least 65% of Americans.
Tips for Calling
When you call your representative’s office, please remember the following:
- Ask for the aide working on gun-related issues.
- Be polite! No matter whose office you’re calling. No matter what their positions are. No matter how inflamed you are about impeachment — and you should be very passionate — be polite.
- Remember that the people you are talking to are people! So, be nice.
- Call during business hours of the area code their office is in. Typically, that is 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- Have a script or notes to follow so you don’t forget anything.
- Maybe call with friends. You know like a party.
Contacting Your MoC
Find out how to contact your MoC using these links!
- Common Cause will give you the names, party affiliation, direct phone number, website link, and social media platforms of all of your federal, state, and local elected officials.
- Call My Congress: Uses your zip code to locate your Congressional Representative and your Senators. And, it returns phone numbers, tweeter handle, party affiliation, voting record, and link to C-Span appearances!
- 5 Calls: I am sad to report that Call Your Rep is no longer supported, but you can sign-up for 5 Calls which is a service that will help you contact your Congressional representatives and keep you abreast of on going issues that are important to you! Now, that is a good deal.
- The Capital Hill Switch Board: (202) 224-3121.
- MassacreMitch and #MoscowMitch: (202) 224-2541. Call him throughout the recess!
- Nancy Pelosi: Her DC office, (202) 225-4965; her California office, (415) 556-4862
We the People March
On Saturday 21 September, there will be a massive We the People March in Washington, D.C. to support our democracy in the face of growing authoritarianism and outright fascism of both the Ol’ Pussy Grabber, #MoscowMitch, and the GOP.
There are other marches organized around the country, too. Either find one near you, or organize it yourself!