Over the past few weeks we’ve been plunged into the worst acid trip ever. The world has melted into some kind of surreal Dali painting throbbing with impossible unimaginable images and actions as a purple haze coats everything. Between the never-conceding always stealing election and the sky rocketing #COVID19 pandemic numbers the world has lost any consistency or normalcy. It’s as if we’ve all been plunged into some Trumpian nightmare where the only things the federal government can focus on are Trump’s needs and wants and not on reality as it is experienced by the rest of us.
Rate this Post FIVE Stars!
Given that the majority of recent posts on Ye Olde Blogge have addressed the Ol’ Pussy Grabber’s refusal to exit his fantasy where he won Election 2020 by a landslide; we all sing the praises of his farts; and we fight each other to praise his brilliance, we’ll focus this post on the bizarre world where adding 1 million infections a week as if it were completely acceptable, having over a thousand real live Americans die per day as if it just didn’t matter, and hearing news reports of overwhelmed doctors, nurses, and hospitals as if they were happening to some other unfortunate country that needed to do like we do in the US of A only to wake up and realize that it is all happening here in our backyard to us and that we have become the United Fucking States of Fucking Stupid, we’ll focus on the psychological factors that lead people to deny the #COVID19 pandemic to the extent that their last words are professing the impossibility of dying of a hoax. We’re going to look at the psychological causes of 72 million+ real live maybe soon to die Americans thinking that #COVID19 is just a hoax designed to deny the Ol’ Pussy Grabber his rightful place in America’s history as our favoritest pred’nit, his landslide victory, and a second term.
Lest there is a single reader out there who hasn’t seen the stories, let’s recap just a touch. If you are already familiar with these ass scratching tales, please feel free to skip ahead.
- Some COVID-positive patients don’t believe virus is real, even as they’re dying, SD nurse says she tries to reason with dying patients who don’t believe they have COVID-19, asking if they want to talk to family, but often, they refuse. She says that even after positive test results, some people don’t believe they have the coronavirus, saying it’s influenza, pneumonia or even lung cancer instead. Crazy, right?
- Doctors say some COVID-19 patients don’t believe virus is real while hospitalized with it “It makes me feel first of all challenged, I have to be creative in my communication, I have to remember to continue with a nonjudgmental compassionate listening stance and try not to enlist more hostility and resistance and at the same time I’m thinking, wow I’d really like to be able to persuade this person because if not, we’re just going to get more infections, more suffering, more death and more overwhelming of this hospital system,” Dr. Berggren said.
- Their Patients Have COVID-19 and Still Think It’s a Hoax While many skeptics believe in the virus once they are diagnosed, others double-down. About a month ago, she politely asked a 70-year-old man with COVID-19 who had a fever and diarrhea to cover his mouth. He pointed to the TV, where he was watching Fox, and told her “the news says these masks don’t work,” before coughing in her face.
No post on the phenomenon of #COVID19 hoaxers dying of #COVID19 and still maintaining that it is a hoax would be complete without the Twitter thread from the nurse who started it all, Jodi Doering.
There’s a corollary to the hoaxers dying of #COVID19, and that is their governors watching them suffer and die and still doing nothing to stop it. Here’s an illuminating comparison of Gov. Noem of South Dakota whose state has seen run away infections making it the place with the most in the world and Gov. of Scott whose state has one of the lowest per capita infection rates from NPR. Did I mention that they are both Repubes?
Share this post on your favorite social media platform
We know that cognitive dissonance can maintain even the most preposterous views in the face of overwhelming contradictory evidence as long as those view have strong social supported. But, the social support is strong enough to maintain the hoaxer view even as I lay dying? Even as thousands of constituents sicken and die miserable deaths and you have public health professionals telling you it is preventable? Aren’t we all supposed to have some survival instinct that should kick in and keep us from succumbing to that voodoo magic shit? Could there be some other factor involved?
We have to go all the way back to the wildly misunderstood Sigmund Freud and his 1920’s death drive to find much to support a self-destructive instinct. Now before we all saddle up our high rocking horses and turn up our noses at Sigmund Penis Envy Freud let’s get a couple of things straight.
- Freud is more than just Oedipus complex and penis envy. A lot more. And, his thoughts on penis envy were more of an acknowledgement of women’s suppression in Victorian Europe than he’s given credit for. He’s describing the way women feel in the face of limited opportunities and open suppression in a patriarchy.
- While Freud’s theorizing and practice were based on his experience as a neurologist and understanding of medical practice at the time, they were still rather like the geocentric model of the solar system. He got the occasional thing right but really missed the big picture.
- Like it or not, Freud has burrowed his way into our deep culture and we all conceive of our psychic functioning using many of his ideas and terms.
Freud and the Death Drive
Freud developed his ideas about death drive in the 1920’s in reaction to the horrific death and destruction of World War I. Much like our current situation with #COVID19, Freud was struggling to explain how people who he thought were driven by the pleasure principle, meaning our drive towards survival, pleasure, and reproduction, would engage in such wanton destruction as witnessed not only during the Great War, but in the survivors who relive the trauma. What we think of now as PTSD. He reasoned that there had to be some other drive steering them towards death.
Freud was not alone in these thoughts. Sabina Spielrein had proposed a drive towards death and destruction in 1912. Such a drive would be expressed through aggression, repetition compulsion, and self-destructiveness. It explained the tendency for people to behave in ways that were harmful, especially to the physical world but that would also ensure that the individual would die which was necessary for the group to survive.
The individual had to fight for life, but at a certain point give up the fight and expire in order for the larger group to survive.
MAGA and the Death Drive
Is that what we’re seeing among the rank and vile MAGAs and Repube elected officials? It is clear that these people are enraged. They are angry and especially about #COVID19 restrictions. They’ve invested heavily in the hoax theory of #COVID19. They have ample social support for it up to and including Repube politicians urging older Americans to just hurry up an die because profits are people too, my friend.
Could it be that the rank and vile MAGA Trump supporter has grown increasingly destructive and self-destructive? Is it part of the attraction that MAGA holds for them? We know that social connection correlates with longer happier lives. We know that an increasing number of Americans report they they are not close to anyone. It’s up to almost 20% of Americans, which is kind of alarming. And, we know that the socially disconnected are far more likely to like the Ol’ Pussy Grabber than people who are socially connected.
Could the connection that Trump has made with his base be based on this angry death drive aggression destructive urge and that #COVID19 has given them the perfect vehicle to act it all out with? The Ol’ Pussy Grabber condemning the losers and suckers who support him to death and misery because (a) he can and (b) they are losers and suckers and, therefore, deserve it. And, his supporters being angry enough to be driven to nihilistic levels of self-destructive behavior and sensing Trump’s disdain for them hoping to please him by dying?
All of that sounds crazy, but no more crazy than #COVID19 deniers denying #COVID19 even as it kills them. Does it explain the reasons Trump ignored #COVID19 to begin with thus all but ruining his chances of winning the election? Does it explain why the rank and vile are planning on boycotting the Georgia senate runoff elections? Does it explain the decreasing life expectancy of middle aged rural white folks? There’s a lot of inexplicable cutting off of your face to despite your nose going on in Trumplandia these days.
Categories: Cognitive Psychology