My oh my, has it been a busy week what with BoJo the Clown becoming the Ol’ Pussy Grabber’s fellow pea in their Russian pod, Mueller testifying, the Senate Intelligence Committee issuing the first of five reports on Russian interference, Smitch declining to protect our elections, AGAIN, and us going off camping far far away from where the wifi roams free. So, I will post the weekly call list a few days early since we get back just before the first night of debates on Tuesday 30 July and I’ll be busy live blogging that.
Also, we have had to add a few features to this weekly post. First, we’ve had some updates on some of the issues that were spotlighted in the past and a link to Indivisible so that those wishing to join, find groups, print guides, or follow issues they do, can. It seemed like it fit with this post.
Given that the Senate Intelligence Committee has reported on the extent of Russian interference — they penetrated the election systems in ALL of the voting jurisdictions in the US that means in ALL FUCKING 50 FUCKING STATES and Smitch has decided to capitalize the M in Moscow Mitch by declining to consider any legislation bipartisan or otherwise that would come even close to protecting our elections.
Given that Congress is no on official six-weeks summer hiatus, what should we do?
Protect Our Elections
- Call Smitch’s office and remind him that he represents these here United States not the Russian Federation! If he gets millions of calls, he might could change his mind.
- Call your senators and demand that they represent these here United States and not the Russian Federation! If your senators get thousands of calls, they might could change their tune on the matter, too.
- Support the Foreign Influence Reporting in Elections Act: Call your senator and tell them to support the FIRE Act, S 1562, that would give campaigns one week to report any contact with foreign nationals that are offering to make donations to the campaign monetary or otherwise or coordinate in any way with the campaign. The campaigns would, also, be required to maintain any documents pertaining to the contact. That sounds like a decent start and because it might hamper Russia helping the Ol’ Pussy Grabber to a second term, Smoscow Smitch probably won’t allow it.
- Vote blue no matter who in 2020! Jesus Howard Christ, I am so fucking tired of Russia winning. I guess the Ol’ Pussy Grabber was right.
Demand an Impeachment Inquiry
Given the Mueller testimony and Smoscow Smitch’s intransigence on protecting us from foreign interference in our elections, it is past time to begin an impeachment inquiry.
- Call your representatives and demand that they start an impeachment inquiry.
- Download the Indivisible Impeachment Recess Booklet.
Get Serious with Oversight of the Admin
Hold Mnuchin and Rettig in contempt for failing to turn over the Ol’ Pussy Grabber’s taxes as required by law. If we’re going to get anywhere with impeachment and oversight of this administration, it starts by putting some teeth in their subpoenas. May as well start with holding Mnuchin and Rettig in contempt. Call your representative!
Break the GOP Stranglehold on the Senate
Statehood for DC: Want to improve the Dems chances of taking back the Senate from the Repubes and their geographical advantage? Make DC a state. That will be two more Senators for the Dems, a majority at 26 + the VP. Call your rep and tell them to support HR 51: the Washington, DC Admissions Act.
Defend a Woman’s Right to Choose
- Urge Your State Reps to Defend Choice: The fight for choice is in the states. Your calls to your state elected officials are as effective as those to the federal. Use 5Calls to find out who you should call.
- Reverse the Federal “Gag Rule” on Abortion: The Repube war on women has kicked into overdrive what with all the angst in the air. The Ol’ Pussy Grabber has issued an executive order preventing any federal money being given to any medical facility providing abortion services effectively defunding Planned Parenthood and other providers of women’s health services and redirecting those funds to faux faith-based women’s health clinics. Call your members of Congress and tell them that fully funded clinics that provide comprehensive women’s health services including reproductive health services, contraception, and abortion have caused a reduction in unwanted pregnancies and abortions. It only makes sense.
Demand your MoC read the entire Mueller report: After this week’s hearings, it is clear who has and who has not read the report. There is no excuse for any MoC not to have read the report. It is fundamental to doing their jobs, protecting our democracy, and providing oversight on the executive branch.
- The DoJ won’t prosecute the criminal contempt of Congress charges against AG Barr-the-Door and Commerce Secretary Wilbur I’m NOT Elmer Fudd Ross. No big surprise there, hunh?
- In one of the clearest examples that our foreign policy is for sale to the highest bidder, the Ol’ Pussy Grabber has vetoed three of the bipartisan joint resolutions prohibiting arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Contacting your Member of Congress
Here’s how to contact you’re member of Congress (MoC):
- Call My Congress: Uses your zip code to locate your Congressional Representative and your Senators. And, it returns phone numbers, tweeter handle, party affiliation, voting record, and link to C-Span appearances!
- 5 Calls: Sign-up for 5 Calls because it is a service that will help you contact your Congressional representatives and keep you abreast of on going issues that are important to you! Now, that is a good deal.
- The Capital Hill Switchboard: (202) 224-3121.