Mitch McConnell sent a memo to his caucus saying that without unanimous consent from all 100 senators — is Josh Hawley or Ted Cruz going to object? Does the Pope shit in the woods or a bear wear a funny hat? — he won’t bring the Senate back into session, so impeachment will have to be put off until the Senate reconvenes 1:00 PM on 20 January AFTER Trump’s term ends and one hour into #BidenHarris when he is no longer majority leader but Schumer is (once Harris is VP, it shifts to Schumer).
It’s a nice procedural trick that diffuses responsibility for the Senate failing to remove a clear and present danger to the country. We can’t let him get away with it. We have to let him know that we know what he’s thinking:
McConnell assumes that we will forget this by 2022 and through his continued obstruction of #BidenHarris, he will regain the Senate and be majority leader again. It is just as cynical and callous as Hawley and Cruz trying to become the drover of MAGA Nation by objecting to the Electoral College vote AFTER the Congress was assaulted and HEARD the protesters chanting Hang Mike Pence! They knew Trump had sent his mob to attack Congress and menace Pence — I’m convinced Trump had no idea of the plans of small groups of the protesters to assassinate Pence and others, but that is another blog post.
McConnell is betting on the continued effectiveness of blunting the emotional response to the insurrection limiting the response in 2022. It’s the same game plan they use after every mass shooting to defer gun reform legislation. It works because we allow it to work.
While we cannot threaten McConnell’s reelection because (a) he probably won’t run for another term and (b) the people of Kentucky allegedly returned him to the Senate in 2020, we can let him know that given that the GOP is defending 20 of the 34 seats up during that election, we will work like hell — like we did in Georgia, Arizona, and Colorado — to flip seats in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Florida, and hold Warnock’s seat in Georgia and Kelly’s seat in Arizona. He needs to know that after Trump’s insurrection on 6 January, the world is born a new and the old tactics just won’t work.
His best path forward lies in limiting the damage that Trump can do. If he does nothing, and Trump’s insurrectionists reappear on 17 and 20 January to cause more death, destruction, and mayhem, then he may as well resign.
Calling or Writing
Use this script when calling or writing Mitch McConnell. Adapt it as you see fit, but be POLITE!
Hi, my name is [NAME] and I’m calling today to let Senator McConnell know that he needs to bring the Senate back into session to vote on Impeachment as soon as possible. Donald Trump poses a clear and present danger to the country as evidenced by his incitement of a seditious riot that threatened the lives of Vice President Pence, Speaker Pelosi, and Senate President pro tempore Grassley. His cynical ploy to delay the vote in the hopes that we will forget how he has once again place his personal political ambitions over the needs of the country will not work.
Just as we worked to overturn the Senate seats in Arizona, Colorado, and Georgia to take back the Senate in 2020, we will work to take the seats in Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin in 2022. The same energy and dedication he saw in 2020, will be redoubled in 2022 fueled by his refusal to end the threat that Donal Trump poses to the country.
Thank you for your time and attention.
IF LEAVING A VOICEMAIL: please leave your full street address to ensure your call is tallied.
The Starter Tweet
Bring the Senate back into session to vote on removing Trump from office. After 6 January, Trump is a clear and present danger to the US and must be removed. After the House impeaches, the Senate must remove him.Tweet
Tips for Calling
When you call McConnell’s office, please remember the following:
- Be polite! No matter what McConnell’s position is. No matter how inflamed you are about the danger Trump presents — and you should be very concerned — be polite.
- Remember that the people you are talking to are people! So, be nice.
- Call during business hours of the area code the office you contact. Typically, that is 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- Have a script or notes to follow so you don’t forget anything.
- Maybe call with friends. You know like a party.
In Addition to Calling
I’ve heard back from readers that McConnell’s voice mail boxes are always full! It’s as if he doesn’t want to hear from us. Here are some other ways to contact McConnell:
- Send a postcard to his office. Nothing says I care like kicking it old school and using snail mail.
- Email his office. Lay out your concerns in a brief email and send it in. We all know how easy it is to email. Make sure you include the issue you are addressing in the subject line.
- Use the contact page on his website. This is the surest way of getting a message to him.
- Contact him using social media. It’s hard to break through all the noise on social media, but it can’t hurt to try given all the time we all spend using it. Be sure to tag McConnell when social mediaing about about a specific issue. Be clear and respectful, though.
McConnell’s Contact Information
- WASHINGTON OFFICE
- ADDRESS: 317 Russell Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
- PHONE NUMBER: (202) 224-2541
- LOUISVILLE OFFICE
- ADDRESS: 601 W. Broadway Room 630 Louisville, KY 40202
- Phone NUMBER: (502) 582-6304
- ADDRESS: 771 Corporate Drive Suite 108 Lexington, KY 40503
- Phone NUMBER: (859) 224-8286
- FORT WRIGHT
- ADDRESS: 1885 Dixie Highway Suite 345 Fort Wright, KY 41011
- Phone NUMBER: (859) 578-0188
- ADDRESS: 300 S. Main Street Suite 310 London, KY 40741
- Phone NUMBER: (606) 864-2026
- BOWLING GREEN
- ADDRESS: Federal Building 241 E. Main Street, Rm. 102 Bowling Green, KY 42101
- Phone NUMBER: (270) 781-1673
- ADDRESS: 100 Fountain Avenue Suite 300 Paducah, KY 42001
- Phone NUMBER: (270) 442-4554
- Contact: McConnell’s Contact Page
Contact and other Informational Links
Find out how to contact your MoC using these links!
- Common Cause will give you the names, party affiliation, direct phone number, website link, and social media platforms of all of your federal, state, and local elected officials.
- USA.gov is the official guide to information and services of the US government. This page explains clearly how to contact everyone from the Ol’ Pussy Grabber to your representative to specific government agencies. Through it you can find the following information about your MoC’s:
- Their phone numbers: DC and state offices
- Their mailing addresses both in DC and their state offices
- Official website with their contact page including email, request a meeting, town hall schedules, and social media
- And, the committees they sit on
- GovTrack is a comprehensive site of federal and state legislation.
- 5 Calls: Sign-up for 5 Calls because they help you contact your member of Congress and keep you abreast of on going issues that are important to you! Now, that is a good deal.
- Indivisible publishes guides to effectively lobby Congress about issues important to liberals. There are affiliated groups near you, they have ongoing campaigns, events in your neighborhood, and a downloadable handy-dandy booklet!
- The Capital Hill Switch Board: (202) 224-3121.
- MassacreMitch and #MoscowMitch: His DC office, (202) 224-2541.
- Nancy Pelosi: Her DC office, (202) 225-4965; her California office, (415) 556-4862
- The Ol’ Pussy Grabber: The WH switchboard, (202) 456-1414 or the comments line at (202) 456-1111 during business hours